Nowadays essential oils are beeing used as remedies to treat various diseases. In this article we will explain you, what bladder infections are and how to uses essential oils for bladder infections.
Bladder is a part of the urinary tract which excretes unnecessary substances from your body along with water. Your urinary tracts consist of two kidneys, two ureters, bladder and urethra.
Urinary tract infections are common among females as they have a shorter urethra whereas men have a long urethra. According to research every woman suffers from bladder infections at least once in their lifetime. So can you understand the disease burden as it disturbs your day today work massively?
As a 4th year medical student I can assure you that doctors can treat urinary tract infections effectively thanks to antibiotics. But I know most of you are suffering from urinary tract infections often and fed up taking antibiotics frequently.
So here, I will explain how to prevent it by using essential oils for bladder infections. It will help you to keep the full stop to prophylactic antibiotics and irritating bladder symptoms.
Symptoms of bladder infection
- Increased in urinary frequency
- Pain during passing urine – burning sensation
- Pain in your lower abdomen, pubic area and back
- Dark, cloudy, odorous urine – blood in urine
- Pain during sex
- Discharge from urethral opening and vagina
- Difficult to start urinating
If these symptoms are present your doctor will definitely prescribe antibiotics to take orally at least for three days. If you have high grade fever with chills, loin to groin pain(flank pain), nausea and vomiting then your kidneys have got infected. You will be admitted to the hospital immediately and will be given intravenous antibiotics for 14-21 days.
Risk factors to develop bladder infections/ urinary tract infections often
- Sexually active women
- Old age
- Post menopausal women- lack of oestrogen
- Taking antibiotics often
- Genetic predisposition
- Anatomical abnormalities in urinary tract- obstruction by stones, pregnancy, congenital abnormalities
- Decreased immunity
Preventive measures to bladder infections / urinary tract infections
- Drink 3-4 l of water and urinate often – This helps to flush out unwanted bacteria from your urinary tract.
- Cranberry essential oils for bladder infection / cranberry juice – This has scientific research based evidence in preventing urinary tract infections
- Citrus family essential oils / citrus family juices – lemon essential oil, lime essential oil are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to increase production or urine. In return increasing flushing out of bacteria from your urinary tract.
- Yogurt and probiotics – Lactobacillus is a good bacteria that is on your skin and mucosal areas. This good bacteria helps to keep away the bad bacteria from your perineal area that gives you troublesome urinary tract infections.
- Add Tea tree oil into your bath – When you are having that luxurious bath of the day, make sure to add 5 drops of tea tree oil into water. Tea tree oil has antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties that keep the perineal area healthy. As tea tree oil is poisonous if you take it orally, be cautious not to get the water around your mouth.
- Urinate after having sex – This helps to flush out the unwanted bacteria from your urinary system. If you like you can wash with mild soap and warm water after having sex.
- Practice good hygiene – always keep your private parts clean. Make sure not to contaminate your urinating parts with toilet paper used near your anal opening. Never touch your urethral opening area after touching your anal opening as you will contaminate the sterile urethral opening.
How to get the pain relief using essential oils for bladder infection
Castor essential oils for bladder infection
This essential oil is similar to the oils that are produced naturally in our body. It’s good to apply on your skin for any type of pain .
Method to apply the castor oil
Lay a garbage bag or a polythene on your bed so that you won’t spill oil on the bed. Apply castor oil into your lower abdomen and perineal areas. Make sure not to put it inside your vagina. Vagina has its natural protective mechanisms such as low pH that you shouldn’t alter.
Then soak a cloth in warm water and keep it in the aching areas. If you want, you can lie on your tummy. Wait for 30 minutes and experience the miracle before taking a warm shower.
Lemongrass essential oil combined with basil essential oil and lavender essential oils for bladder infection
Basil and lavender essential oils have antibacterial properties that fight the infection while lemongrass essential oil provides you with pain relief.
Method to apply the essential oils for bladder infection
You need 100ml of coconut essential oil or olive oil as a carrier oil. Add 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil and 3 drops each from lavender essential oil and basil essential oil.
Store this in a clean, glass container( a jar) Apply it into your skin and rub it gently producing heat. You can apply it around your panty line and urethral opening areas. Use a few drops at a time. You may have to use it 1 hourly within the first 3 days.
Your symptoms will improve within 3 days. But your doctor will prescribe antibiotics for 2 more days as the bacteria should be killed 100% otherwise you will get the symptoms again in a few days. You can use this essential oils for bladder infections as the same to prevent getting the infection again.
Share this miraculous home remedies with your friends and family and help them to get through the troublesome urinary tract infections.