Some people may experience Allergic reaction to essential oils. So, Before start using essential oils, it is very important to check whether you are allergic or not.
Why Essential oils?
Essential oils can help you to calm, and to avoid stress and anxiety. So, it is a trendy remedy you can use to maintain good mental and physical health. Unlike other home remedies and common medical drugs, essential oils usually don’t cause any side effects. But, some people’s bodies may reject essential oils. (This is not a common complication.) When someone’s body rejects something, we call it an allergy. Allergies can cause allergic reactions. For example, we all have experienced food allergies. When a food allergy occurs, we experience symptoms like snoozing, skin itching, itchy throat and etc. Those symptoms are the reaction, witch your body express when it gets some unwanted thing inside. We call that an allergic reaction.
Can you get allergic reactions after consuming essential oils?
Most essential oil users never experience any allergic reactions. But, that doesn’t say that no one is allergic to essential oils. Rarely some people may feel very uncomfortable after applying essential oil on skin or breathing the defused gas. So, if it is your first time, Don’t use essential oils in a huge body area. First, apply it to a small area of skin and wait a few minutes. After a few minutes, if you are not experiencing any different feeling, then you are okay to use it.
What are the symptoms of allergic reaction to diffusing essential oils?
Usually, the symptoms of essential oil allergies first appear on the skin. Depending on the essential oil concentration and amount, the symptoms and reaction time may vary.
If you use essential oils on the skin, and also if you are allergic to essential oils, the following symptoms may appear.
- Redness on the skin – If you apply essential oil on the skin, you may experience redness in that area. If you inhaled, the diffused essential oil redness would appear in several places.
- Burning feeling – You will feel like your body is burning. This will be very uncomfortable.
Pain in the applied area
- Skin hives – Hives will appear on the skin. These hives will also start itching.
Some times the allergic reactions may come up instantly. Usually, it takes five to ten minutes.
These are the most common symptoms of an essential oil allergy. But, in some cases, more complicated symptoms may appear.
Allergic reaction to diffusing essential oils
Diffusing is a trendy and efficient way to use essential oils. After diffusing essential oils, if you are allergic, you may experience uncomfortable feelings in the nasal area.
Most common Allergic reaction after diffusing essential oils are
- Sneezing – You will feel an uncomfortable and burning sensation in the nose. Then you will start to sneeze.
- Runny nose condition – Runny nose is excessive nasal drainage. Your nose will start to drain liquids without stopping. Also, some may experience a blocked nose.
- Stuffy nose – You will feel pain in your sinus area. Also, mucus will start to buildup causing nose blocks.
Those allergic reactions can build complications in asthma patients. So, if you have asthma, consult a doctor before start using essential oils.
How to avoid allergic reactions.
- Do an allergic test before start using essential oils – Rub a little drop of essential oils on a small skin area and test for allergic reactions.
- Use diluted essential oils.
- Get medical advice if you have any other sicknesses.
- Some essential oil verities like lavender are allergic to some people. So, choose non-allergic verity. Not all essential oils cause allergic reactions to you.